- Have someone drive you to the start line so you can sleep in. The
start-finish line is near Prison Street on Front Street. Front St will be
closed between Prison and Shaw Streets for the start-finish line set up.
- When you land on Maui and are waiting for your baggage, pick up a Maui
Driving Map from the desk inside the baggage area.
- If you drive yourself, there is free parking at the Prison Street free parking
lot near the start -finish line. If full there is also paid parking at the corner of
Shaw and Front St and many other low cost paid parking areas in Lahaina. Check
it out on your map that you will pick up at the airport or your hotel lobby.
- Ideally, after dropping you off, that someone
will drive along the course to cheer and take pictures of you (and whales) from one of the
- Dress skimpily for the race. If lucky, the
morning temp will get down into the high 50ís, but probably the mid-60. If we
are unlucky and have a Kona Wind which has happened once in 12 years, the
temps will be in the high 70ís at the start. The Kona wind will come from the
- The Half and 10K are out and back from the finish line and are very
scenic, flat and
- Typical weather is mid-60ís at the start with no wind, no rain.
- But bring a garbage bag to the start line in case it rains. We have never
needed it, but it could happen. And if you donít need it,
hand it to a volunteer and we can use it for trash.
- At the start you will cross over timing pads and your start time will be
recorded. Your timing chip is on the back of your race bib.
- We will have 3 wave starts:
- 6:35 Half marathoners under 50 years of age
- 6:40 Half Marathoners over 50 years of age
- 6:45 The 10K and all Half Marathon walkers
- You wear your number on the front, not the back. That way everyone will
know your name, and the race photographers will like that as well.
- Numbers 50 and 1-10 will start in the front row. Make room for them. The
50s represent the runners who are doing their 50th different Half Marathon
state. There are multiple #50ís marking this achievement.
- Numbers 1-10 is given to the runners who have donated the largest amount of
money to the race, which is earmarked for our aid stations. We thank these
very generous big-hearted runners.
- The first 8/10 of a mile of the course will be closed to traffic giving
you time to spread out. You will have police protection when you turn right
off of Front St and head south on the Honoapiilani Highway. Stay in the bike
lane. Traffic will be on your left. You will turn around 6.55 miles down the
road and the 10K will turn back after 5K. On the way back stay to the right of
the bike lane and count all the runners on your left who you are leading.
- There are aid stations each mile on the course manned by high school
teams, non-profit Maui organizations and some businesses.
Note the best one, as you
will be asked to vote for the best aid station.
- Half Marathoners will receive a special email after the race and
asking you to vote for the best aid station. We will list the aid stations on
the ballot to help you remember.
- Winning aid stations receive nice cash prizes along with a nice check for
being out there. Your vote is important.
- You will receive a beautiful finishers medal after you cross the finish
- We will have spray showers set up just beyond the finish line, thanks to
the Four Seasons Hotel.
- The Maui School of Therapeutic Massage School of Maui will have 18-20
massage tables for your pleasure.
- There will be snacks at the finish line and Ultima Replenisher.
- After the race plan on taking your support crew or meeting your new
running friends to one of the many dining spots in Lahaina after the race.
- On the course there will be Ultima Replenisher, Cliff Bars, cookies,
fruit, candy, etc. Also Clif Shot Bloks will be on the course.
- The race and bus schedule will be printed on the back of your race bib.
- Put your credit card and a couple of $20 and a $5 bill and in your little
pocket, just in case. The $5 would be a nice way to thank the massage people
but definitely not necessary.
- See the Time Line on the web site for packet pickup.
- Gear bag drop is behind the Hale and between the massage table area.
- Hang Loose, your on Maui and on Island Time