- Have someone drive you to the start line at the Shops of Wailea so you can sleep in.
Drive south to Wailea using the Piilani Hwy. The Piilani is Hwy 31 and turns
west towards the ocean and Wailea. When you get to the end of the road, you
are at the Shops of Wailea. Turn left and quick right into the south parking
lot of the Shops of Wailea. First hour is free parking. Park, and walk
through the middle shopping center, then go up to the gourmet store that will
be open for the Marathon and gets some coffee. Spectators should hang around
and watch the Hawaiian Blessing before the start of the race. If your parking
your self for the day, park for free, by turning right at the light and then
just before the Andaz Hotel turn left down into Ulua Beach. About 3 blocks
walk back to the start area.
- Ideally after dropping you off, that someone will drive along the course
to cheer and take pictures of you from one of our beautiful pullouts.
- When you land on Maui and are waiting for your baggage, pick up a Maui
Driving Map from the desk inside the baggage area.
If you forget, Maps are at all the hotel lobbies.
- Important: Marathoners need a headlamp for safety. After 7.5 miles it will
be pitch black except for car headlights and the distant aid stations. First
light begins about 6:25AM. If you arrive at the 7.5 mark before 6:25 AM you
will be running in the dark. For the first 7.5 miles there will be dark spots
on the course where street lights don't cover or may be burnt out. WEAR A
HEADLAMP. Buy one from Home Depot or Amazon. We have 25 to sell the C- runners
at packet pickup on Friday or Saturday. Put your name, cell phone#, and bib
number on it and drop it off at an aid station after the sun comes up.
- The bus for the Early Start Marathon only leaves from the Prison Street
parking lot near the finish line.
- The Marathon has pick ups in Kaanapali at the bus stop in front of
Whalers Village and at the Prison Street free parking lot by the finish line
na. See the schedule
on the back of your race bib or on the web site.
- If you take the bus from Prison Street parking lot, which is a block from
the finish line, leave your race bag in your car
or drop it off behind the hale in Kamehameha Iki Park, which is the finish
area. (525 Front Street. Lahaina)
- We do not transport race bags to the finish line from Wailea.
- Dress skimpily for the race. If lucky, the
morning temperature will get down into the high 50ís, but probably will be in
the mid-60. If we are unlucky and have a Kona Wind,
which has happened once in 10 years, the temperatures will be in the high 70ís
at the start. But the wind will be at your back.
- Typical weather is mid-60ís at the start with no wind, no rain.
- But bring a garbage bag in your suitcase and bring it to the start line in
case it rains. We have never needed it, but it could happen. And if you donít
need it, hand it to a volunteer and we can use it
- If you are driving and parking at the Shops of Wailea, park as directed
which will be, as far away from the shopping
center as possible so we donít make The Shops unhappy.
- If someone is dropping you off, they can park anywhere in the Shops of
Wailea and stay and watch the start.
- We will have the traditional Hawaiian blessing at the start. You will
- At the start you will cross over timing pads and your start time will be
recorded. Your timing chip is on the back of your race bib.
- You wear your number on the front, not the back.
- Numbers 50 and numbers 1-9 will start on the front row. Make room for
them. The 50s represent the runners who are doing their 50th different
- Numbers 1-9, are given to the runners who have
donated the largest amount of money to the race, which is earmarked for our
aid stations. We thank these very generous big-hearted runners.
- Early starters (4:30 AM) will stay on the sidewalk or bike lane. No
traffic controls for that start. There will be about 70 or 80. Remember that
the early starters will get finishers medals and license plate holders, but
not be part of age division awards.
- The Marathon start will consist of 500+ runners at 5:00 AM. We use cell
phone time right down to the second and will start on time.
- The first 1.5 miles will be closed to traffic giving you time to spread
out. After that you will run in the bike lane facing traffic.
- There will be cops at all the traffic lights giving you priority on the
course through Kihei.
- There are 18 aid stations on the course manned by high school teams,
non-profit organizations and some businesses.
- You will receive a special email from me after the race and you will be
asked to vote for the best aid station for the first half of the course. And
the best aid station for the second half of the course. We will list the aid
stations on the ballot to help you remember.
- Winning aid stations get nice cash prizes along with a nice check for
being out there. Your vote is important.
- You will receive a beautiful finishers medal after you cross the finish
- We will have spray showers set up just beyond the finish line, thanks to
the Four Seasons Hotel.
- The Maui School of Therapeutic Massage School of Maui will have 18-20
massage tables for you.
- There will be snacks at the finish line and Ultima Replenisher.
- After the race plan on taking your support crew or meeting your new
running friends in one of the many dining spots in Lahaina after the race.
Have a change of clothes in your support crew's car. There is cold showers
next to the finish line after a dip into the ocean.
- On the course there will be Ultima Replenisher, Cliff Bars, cookies,
fruit, candy, etc. Also Clif Shot Bloks energy gels will be on the course.
- There will be a charter bus leaving back to the Wailea start line at two
different times from the Prison St. parking lot. The cost is $10 and you may
buy the ticket at packet pickup.
- The race and bus schedule will be printed on the back of your race bib.
- There is no gear bag transportation from Wailea start line. Put in
your supports car. If you are catching the bus from Prison Street put bag
behind the Hale near the toilets before you board the bus to Wailea.
- At the finish line the bus pickup is at the Prison Street free
- Parking: At the start line you have 59 minutes of free parking. If
you buy something for $25 in the Shops of Wailea you can get the first 3 hours
free. Have some one drop you off in or outside the Shops of Wailea is the best
bet. Their is free parking at Manoli's Pizza Company for the first 20 cars in
their upper parking lot away from the business, which is across the
traffic light from the Shops of Wailea. (They have excellent pasta and pizza).
- Put your credit card and a couple of $20 and a $5 bill and in your little
pocket, just in case. The $5 would be a nice way to thank the massage people
but definitely not necessary.
- See the Time Line on the web site for packet pickup.
- This is not the Boston Marathon, the New York Marathon, etc.
- Hang Loose, your on Maui on Island Time.