Sun, Jan 16|
Shops at Wailea
Marathon Head Start for 55+ year old marathoners
Starting in Wailea at the Shops at Wailea parking lot and running along the oceanfront to Kamehameha Iki Park near the Banyan Tree in Old Lahaina Town
Time & Location
Jan 16, 2022, 4:40 AM – 12:00 PM
Shops at Wailea, Wailea, Wailea-Makena, HI 96753, USA
About The Event
The Marathon head start is for 55+ year old Marathoners and gives a 20 minute headstart at 4:40 a.m. This start is eligible for all age division awards, but not the overall awards using this start.
Paid Parking at the Start line in the Shops of Wailea. Park where directed, away from the Shops. 59 minutes free parking. Go to the end of the Pi'ilani Highway, turn right down the hill, left at the light and quick right into the south parking at The Shops at Wailea. The Marathon starts from the north parking lot. Portable Toilets are at The Shops at Wailea. The start line is in the north parking lot of the Shops. Best Bet: Have someone drop you off at the Shops of Wailea. Shuttle buses from Lahaina will drop off at the Shops of Wailea before heading back to Lahaina for other race pickups. After dropping off marathoners, one bus will take other event runners back to Lahaina. A post race return bus ticket to Wailea can be bought at number pick up on Friday or Saturday.
- The Marathon Head Start is for 55+ year old marathoners only.
- Race Course: https://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/4763739532
- The custom start is for 55+ year old runners. Age division awards are given if you start at 4:40AM or the regular start at 5AM.
- To win the Marathon outright you must start at 5AM.
- The clock is turned off at noon
- The Custom starts gives athletes up to 8 hours to finish.
- Marathon Head Starters will have a shuttle bus to the start line from Ka'anapali Whalers Village, Prison Street Parking lot in Lahaina a block from the finish line
- Because of the early start, if you have a choice, it would be best to stay in the Wailea or Kihei start line area.
- The purpose of the early start is to get us all home early and give you a cooler run.
- Wear a flashing light or two for the first hour or so, and reflective clothing.
- Home Depot has or had some cheap headband headlights you might look for.
- Except for the first 1.5 miles you will use the sidewalk, bike path, or shoulder of the road for all races.
- Runners will be using street lights and their headlamp for the first 7.5 miles of the race.
- You may turn in your headlamp and flashers at the 8 or 10 mile aid station and they will be transported to the finish line for your pickup. Put you name on them.
- The Marathon starts at 5 AM and the clock is turned off at noon giving you 7 hours to finish.
- The start is in The Shops at Wailea parking lot.
- The course travels north from the Shops onto Wailea Alanui Drive (Shops at Wailea and Marriott Hotel) and then down Okolani onto South Kihei Rd at mile 1, through oceanfront Kihei Town with a left turn onto N. Kihei Rd at about mile 7, then a left turn onto Highway 30 at the 11 mile mark near Ma'alaea Bay and continues oceanfront all the way to Front Street at the South end of Lahaina Town.
- The last mile is through oceanfront residential and ends at oceanfront Kamehameha Iki Park at 525 Front Street. This is next to 505 Front Street Shopping area.
- All of the course is on asphalt and the shoulder of the road.
- The shoulder is mostly between 4' to 6' wide. Some spots wider, some narrower.
- The ocean is constantly reclaiming the oceanfront highway as you will see.
- The course has many scenic pull outs and public beaches along the course for family and friends to park, picnic and support your run.
- This is a competitive division with a finishers medal, 5 year age division awards, a license plate frame to help celebrate (and brag to your friends), as well as a souvenir Maui Oceanfront Event race shirt.
- The Mile Marker Signs on the course read "mile to go". The yellow paint numbers on the road are MOM's. Any white or other colored numbers are from other local races.
See the Time Line for race start time and shuttle bus schedule There is bus transportation from the Marathon start line in Wailea to the Half Marathon Start line. Traditional Hawaiian entertainment will be awaiting you along with your finishers medal and snacks at the finish line in Lahaina. Best bet for enjoying your race. Have your support crew drop you off at the start line, and then park along the course for pictures, cheering, watching the whales, and then you take them to one of the great Lahaina open air breakfast places after the race to enjoy your great finish and accomplishment. The Pioneer Inn is just a long block past the finish line next to the Banyan Street Square and the yacht harbor.