top of page
Sun, Jan 16|
The Shops at Wailea
The Maui Oceanfront Marathon (aka:MOM)
Starting at The Shops at Wailea parking lot and running along the oceanfront to Kamehameha Iki Park just south of the Banyan Tree in Old Lahaina Town. 18 aid stations along the oceanfront route.
Registration is ClosedSee other events
Time & Location
Jan 16, 2022, 5:00 AM – 12:00 PM
The Shops at Wailea, Wailea, Wailea-Makena, HI 96753, USA
About The Event
The regular Marathon starts at 5AM with the 55+ year old runners starting at 4:40 AM. Either of these starts are eligible for all age division awards. But the overall winner must start at 5AM and run with the other top competitors.
The 4AM Marathon start is for anyone who needs more time to finish before noon. This would be for walkers.
- The 4AM start gives athletes up to 8 hours to finish.
- Course Map: https://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/4763739532
- If you so the 4AM start carry your own water until the aid stations open at 5AM.
- Provide your own transportation to the start. If there is enough demand we may provide a bus.
- There are no age division or overall awards for the 4AM starters. They will receive a finisher's medal, license plate, t-shirt and any other marathon goodies.
- Paid parking is available at the start line in The Shops at Wailea. Park where directed, away from the Shops. 59 minutes of free parking.
- Directions to the Start Line: Go south to the end of the Pi'ilani Highway, turn right down the hill, left at the light and quick right into The Shops at Wailea. Portable toilets are at The Shops at Wailea. The start line is in the north parking lot of the Shops.
- Best Bet: Have someone drop you off at The Shops at Wailea. Shuttle buses from Lahaina will drop off at the Shops at Wailea before heading back to Lahaina for other race pickups.
- After dropping off marathoners, one bus will take other event runners back to Lahaina for their starts. A post race return bus ticket to Wailea can be bought at number pick up on Friday or Saturday.
- The Marathon Head Start is for 55+ year old marathoners only.
- The clock is turned off at noon.
- Marathon Head Starters will have a shuttle bus to the start line from Ka'anapali Whalers Village, Prison Street Parking lot in Lahaina a block from the finish line
- Because of the early start, if you have a choice, it would be best to stay in the Wailea or Kihei start line area.
- The purpose of the early start is to get us all home early and give you a cooler run.
- Wear a headlamp and a flashing light or two for the first hour or so, and reflective clothing.
- Home Depot or your local hardware store have some cheap headband headlights you might look for.
- You can also buy used lights for $10 at packet pick up if you are a c- student and forget to bring your own.
- Except for the first 1.5 miles and the last 3.5 miles you will use the sidewalk, bike path, or shoulder of the road for the Marathon.
- Runners will be using street lights and their headlamp for the first 7.5 miles of the race.
- You may turn in your headlamp and flashers at the 8 or 10 mile aid station and they will be transported to the finish line for your pickup. Put yous name on them. No name and we get keep them and sell them back to other c- runners next year.
- The regular Marathon starts at 5 AM and the clock is turned off at noon giving you 7 hours to finish.
- You may start anytime between 4AM and 5AM. To "Win" the race you must start at 5PM with the other athletes out to win the race.
- The course travels north from The Shops onto Wailea Alanui Drive (Shops at Wailea and Marriott Hotel) and then down Okolani onto South Kihei Rd at mile 1, left turn into dark torch lite 3/10th of a mile out and back, then through oceanfront Kihei Town with a left turn onto N. Kihei Rd at about mile 7, then a left turn onto Highway 30 at the 11 mile mark near Ma'alaea Bay and continues oceanfront all the way to Front Street at the south end of Lahaina Town.
- At mile 22.7 you will run off of H30 down onto Old H30 and run to Front St on a dedicated oceanfront lane.Traffic may move north on this 3.5 miles, but is closed to south bound traffic.
- The last mile is through oceanfront residential and ends at oceanfront Kamehameha Iki Park at 525 Front Street. This is next to 505 Front Street shopping center.
- Most of the course is on asphalt and the shoulder of the road.
- The shoulder is mostly between 4' to 6' wide. Some spots are wider, some narrower.
- The ocean is constantly reclaiming the oceanfront highway as you will see.
- The course has many scenic pull outs and public beaches along the course for family and friends to park, picnic, watch whales and support your run.
- These are competitive races with a finisher's medal, 5 year age division awards, a license plate frame to help celebrate (and brag to your friends), as well as a souvenir Maui Oceanfront event race shirt.
- The mile marker signs on the course read "miles to go". The yellow paint numbers on the road are MOM's. Any white or other colored numbers are from other local races.
- See the Time Line for race start time and shuttle bus schedule There is bus transportation from the Marathon start line in Wailea to the Half Marathon Start line. Traditional Hawaiian entertainment will be awaiting you along with your finisher's medal and snacks at the finish line in Lahaina. Best bet for enjoying your race: have your support crew drop you off at the start line, and then park along the course for pictures, cheering, watching the whales, and then you take your support crew to one of the great Lahaina open air breakfast places after the race to enjoy your great finish and accomplishment. The Pioneer Inn is just a long block past the finish line next to the Banyan Street Square and the yacht harbor.
bottom of page